An inflammation of the nasal passages, sinuses and mucous membranes that line the sinus cavities is called sinusitis. It may be caused by an infection stemming from a common cold, a tooth abscess, allergies or an autoimmune disorder. It is a common ailment with 25 to 30 million cases reported in the United States each year.
While there are various types of sinus infection home remedies which can be used to cure sinus infections, these will only be successful if the actual nature of the sinus problem has been identified. The first step in knowing how to treat sinus infection with different types of sinus infection home remedies is to determine if you are dealing with chronic sinusitis or a case of acute sinusitis.
While there are many similarities between these two infections you need to understand that the sinus infection home remedies for these infections will be somewhat different. For the moment we will concentrate on how to treat sinus infection with various types of sinus infection home remedies.
The first step to understanding this infection is to see where you will first begin to develop the symptoms of acute sinusitis. Generally the infections will develop in the cheekbone sinus areas and that of the nasal sinus areas.
The different treatments which can be found for use with sinus infections will include looking up various sinus infection home remedies. These remedies can be found to range from the simple to the somewhat messy. These will include remedies like drinking apple cider.
Traditional Sinusitis Treatment Medicines:
- Traditional sinusitis treatment medicine includes antibiotics if your doctor suspects a bacterial infection.
- Nasal corticosteroids are prescription sprays that can reduce the symptoms.
- Antihistamines and even surgery may be recommended by your MD.
- Many alternative treatments and natural remedies are being used by more and more people who suffer from the malady.
Home remedies for a sinus infection may include:
Other sinus infection home remedies can be found in the use of steam inhalation techniques. While there is no scientific evidence to support any curative abilities from the use of this type of home remedy, there are people who feel that using sinus infection home remedies like this can help you to find some measure of comfort.
- Aromatherapy which is very effective when combined with steam. A few drops of eucalyptus oil, rosemary oil, peppermint oil or pine oil in a container of very hot water will create the aromatherapy bath.
- The sinus sufferer drapes a towel over their head and the bowl to hold the steam in. Inhaling the vapors will relieve the pain and pressure. This sinusitis treatment medicine along with other alternative therapies works quite well.
- Herbal tea made from peppermint, chamomile, ginger, elderflower or ground ivy can improve the function of the sinuses.
- Drinking the tea and breathing in the steam also helps with congestion and clearing the mucus.
Chiropractic Treatment For Sinusitis
- Chiropractic treatment has proved to be helpful at relieving sinusitis symptoms. Treatments can focus on the bones and membranes that surround the sinus cavities to improve breathing and postnasal drainage.
- Sinusitis treatment medicine and techniques may also involve inserting balloons into the nasal cavity to expand sinus openings. This nasal-specific technique is usually performed by naturopathic physicians and osteopaths.
- Trigger point therapy may be performed by physical therapists or massage therapists. In this technique, pressure is applied to a “trigger point” that can eliminate sinus pain.
Another alternative sinusitis treatment medicine is acupuncture therapy. An acupuncturist is a traditional Chinese doctor. A naturopathic physician may also perform acupuncture. The practitioner will discuss your health, diet and lifestyle as well as the sinusitis symptoms on your first visit. Small needles are placed on the body to disperse or replenish energy to an ideal level. The acupuncturist may also prescribe herbal remedies and other dietary alterations.
When you are trying out these different ways of curing your sinus infection with sinus infection home remedies you need to understand that they will not provide you with any long lasting relief.
Therefore if you are planning on using an herbal home remedy for sinus infections you should gather as much information on the subject as possible. Likewise talk with your health provider. Once you have gathered all of the information that you need you can decide on sinus infection home remedies that you will be taking.
You will need to see how using sinus infection home remedies can help with the different forms of sinus infections. At present the herbal remedies have not been documented with regard to sinus infections.
Finally as you look at all of these different treatment methods you will notice that you can gain some relief from using sinus infection home remedies until the misery of this condition has passed.